Saturday, August 23, 2008

Choosing my favorite Flyer for 08-09

Sure, the Flyers have an important decision to make regarding this year's captain, but what about me? Now that Gator is gone, who will be my favorite Flyer? Ultimately, the decision will be a gut reaction, based on performance on the ice during camp or the first few games, but let's take a look at some of the likely candidates.

To begin the process, we can eliminate an entire category of player: all the forwards. I'm just not a forward kind of gal. My previous favorite players have included Martin Grenier, Michael Leighton, Lars Jonsson, and Jason Smith. So we have to go with a goalie or a d-man. I like Marty and Nitty, but favorites they are not.

Okay, so that leaves the d-men. Let's take a closer look:

Kimmo Timonen: super talented and quite cute, but doesn't meet my minimum height requirements.

Ryan Parent: meets height requirements and is able to grow a Gator beard, but he might be too cute. All the other girls will have him on their list.

Hatcher: um, no.

Randy Jones: too pretty.

Kukkonen: too blond.

Ossi Vaananen: Haven't seen him in action yet, but since he is Finnish and I don't have a thing for Finns, he is probably out.

Okay, so that just leaves Eminger and Coburn. Both are tall, though Coburn is taller, so that gives him a slight advantage in my book.

Coburn has the potential for heroics on the ice, plus we know he is tough since he took that puck to the eye....very Gator like of him. He cleans up great, which you would know if you turn to page 40 of the 07/08 Flyers Pictorial Yearbook.

.................huh? what? oh sorry, I couldn't stop looking at his picture.

Plus, Nicole took some pics of him last week at the Cote Carnival that got me to thinking he might be the one...

I can't find any decent pictures of Eminger, and I haven't seen him play that much, so for now I don't have much info to go o.

So Eminger, the battle is yours to win.

4 comments:

  1. I'm telling you it's all about Mike Richards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally a forward this year! Not sure if that needed an exclamation point, but alas, I think k-mart might be right. But if he doesn't want it, I'd put my money on Gagne or Knuble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin: That's okay. I'll adopt the Finnish contingent. More for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @steve- I'd say Knuble, but I'm not sure if he'll be around that long.

    Btw, does anyone know what came of the rumour that Sundin was gonna sign with us?

    ReplyDelete