Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Oh crap, you mean I still have to write about hockey?

Don't fuck it up tonight, Hiller.

I actually love watching the playoffs once my team has been eliminated. I mean sure, there's not as much passion involved, but there's not as much stress either. You can sit back, relax, and not really care about the outcome of the game. As the game goes on, you realize who you're rooting for (unless it's Pens/Caps, then you know you're rooting for NotPens) and then you live and die with every goal.

However, now that the Flyers and Habs have been eliminated, I've gone back to a more night time related schedule at work. That has really been cutting into my game watching time. I would venture to say I have not watched one entire game since my teams were eliminated. Even when I have been able to watch, I tune in but the game barely holds my attention!!! What is wrong with me? Why am I burnt out on hockey? It's starting to scare me. I'm home tonight and well rested, so I am going to try and watch both games. I'll let you know how it goes!

Update: Well, I failed. I watched the first period of Canes/Bruins while flipping back and forth between Seinfeld. Then, flipping back and forth between Family Guy. Then I fell asleep on the couch at 8:40 and woke up around 9:45. Bad, bad, bad hockey fan. Let's see how I do with the Ducks game. Although honestly, it's 10:26 and I haven't started watching it yet. Sigh.

7 comments:

  1. It's easy to be burnt out after the seasons that the Flyers and in particular, the Habs had. I was ready to be burnt out. Then Ovie came around. And then his team just HAD to go and play the Pens... *sighs* Pooh... stupid Pens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Kristin. Even with good intentions, I've fallen asleep during many a televised hockey game... I try so hard to watch and then *poof* sleepsville. (Though as Soph can attest, I do kind of have TV narcolepsy... I pass out during movies constantly!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, something about the sound of hockey in the background is soothing and sleep inducing...zzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure it isn't the Versus commentators putting you to sleep? haha. Actually, they have been pretty good during the playoffs and it is nice to know that no matter the night, I can turn to channel 64 and hockey will be on! Unless it is a Caps game, then it is blacked out and rodeo is on, which means I have to turn to channel 10 for Comcast. hahaha. But yeah, I don't think I have watched a full game since Flyers game 4 either. I think it has to do with the time of year too. The weather is nice and warm and it's hard to devote 3+ hours EVERY night to it, especially with season finales building up.

    For instance, tonight is the season finale of ANTM and LOST and Game 7 or Caps/Pens. So, ANTM can wait, but a 2-hour LOST vs Game 7 of a game that will probably drive me crazy?!?!?! So, I'll watch LOST, flip back to catch scores, and just wait to be happy/disappointed when it is over..... I'm pathetic too......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I think a lot of people will be flipping back and forth between the game and Lost! That's acceptable.

    Who do you think it gonna win ANTM? The girl with the crazy doll eyes?

    As for Versus, the announcers have been okay...up until last night. They were sooooo boring. Or maybe that's because that was the first game I've seen, and they've really been that bad the whole time. When I do actually watch hockey, I do it without the volume....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching hockey without the sound on? That is like watching the dryer!!!! Round and round and round and....zzzzzzz. You know what would be really cool is if they gave you the option (isn't digital tv supposed to be all that or something?!?!) to have ONLY the arena noise and no announcers!!! I love hearing the sounds of the game and the play by play, it is the color guys on Vs that are Ambien takers. The Caps home announcers are actually pretty good. WAAAAY better than the Vs guys. It was nice to actually watch a series where the "homers" knew the actual players and not NHL fabricated bylines only.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely easier to watch hockey when you have no rooting interest. Then I can root for a good game and not really care who wins. It's much less stressful. I soaked up every second I could while I was at home for a week. So far the best game I've watched was the Hawks/Canucks game 6. It was really exciting.

    ReplyDelete