Saturday, January 27, 2007

Who knew everyone loves my boy Reid?

Well, last night was the auction for the jerseys. One thing you need to know about me is that I am very easily flustered by hockey boys. I need to work on that. We headed down to Bullies after the game and got a good seat right up front (four rows back). Some of the scratches were already there, including Munroe. Yikes! I was busy telling Rod who everyone was, because apparently he can't tell who anyone is without their helmets. Some of the other players started to filter in.

They started the bidding with John Slaney and his jersey, which threw me off because I thought he and Cote would be last since they are wildly popular. Slaney went for about 600 bucks. That also threw me off, because I thought his jersey would go for about a grand. Next came the mascot Phlex and his jersey. That fetched about 500 bucks. The next few players are a blur to me, because Reid was over in the corner and my oxygen supply seemed suddenly very limited. I kept saying, "is it really hot in here?" and my face was very red with anxiety!

Reid and his jersey came up pretty quickly, about sixth or seventh (again, this is all a blur to me). He got up on the stage and held up his jersey with that doofy smile on his face. Before I could even get one bid in, the jersey was up to 1100 bucks and there was a bidding war between two bidders. Rod kept looking at me and asking if I wanted to bid but I just said no. I didn't want to scare Reid by suddenly bidding 1200 dollars, thus revealing my potential stalker status.

So I let Reid and his jersey get away. Next up was Muny. I think we put a bid in on his shirt, but can't remember due to practically passing out over the Reid thing! Muny's jersey went for around 800 to the same people who robbed me of my Reid jersey!!! Talk about stalkers! (Edit...I have gotten to know these people...these people are Becky and Tom...they are not stalkers! Really!)

A few players later was Bronty (Grenier). As I always say, he is a big dude. He looks way less menacing without his helmet on. Since I was no longer on the verge of passing out, I told Rod to bid on him. The bidding started and went back and forth to about 600. It was going going gone when Rod put a bid in. Folks were shocked, since we hadn't really bid on him yet. We went back and forth with another bidder, pushing the bid up to 900. I didn't really want to spend a grand on Bronty, since for that kind of money I could have had Reid. Bronty was happy that his jersey went for so much and really it would have been worth the money just to stand next to him, since he is so big, but oh well. Also, when he was talking to the people who won his jersey, he seemed like a gentle giant! For such a big dude/enforcer type he was very soft spoken and polite. Now if only he would stop sucking on the ice!!

The next jersey auction is in March, and I vow to buy all three jerseys! I am going to work on my being near players skills and won't pass out when they are in the same room with me. I will overcome this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment