Monday, September 17, 2007

Devils 3, Flyers 2....in a shootout!

Just kidding! That would have been the title of this post last season, since every Devils/Flyers game I attended ended in a shootout. Argh!

I made the trek to Sovereign Bank Arena to catch some preseason action. Here is my recap (which as usual, contains little or no actual game info!):

  • I forgot my ticket and had to turn around to get it 10 minutes into my trip. Nice start!
  • Traffic at the Valley Forge tolls was pretty ridiculous...if this was anything other than a hockey game, I would have packed it in at this point. Actually, I would have packed it in after the forgotten ticket, figuring it was a sign to stay home. But this is hockey dammit!
  • I saw more fights in the first period then I saw all last year. Really. I like a good fight every now and then, but this actually got in the way of the game a bit. I think at one point, there was a fight and two guys sent to the box, and then another fight at the next faceoff. Sheesh!
  • The fights did seem to give the Flyers some good momentum and a chance to work on "gelling" and "team chemistry".
  • I would mention who looked good and who looked bad, but as a sports jinx, I don't want to say. Let's just say Nitty did not look good. And Briere did not look good.
  • I got to meet Schnookie and Pookie, who are even funnier in person (if that is possible) and so smart and so hockey smart. If only I had been able to find some margaritas, I could have been funny and smart too! But I still wouldn't have understood their fancy New Jersey phrases like "he got a summer slower..."
Thank god hockey is back!!

7 comments:

  1. he got a summer slower

    WHAT?! Never heard that before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised that Biron stopped all that he faced, but Nitty let two in?

    As for any poor performance by Briere, must be karma coming back around for that stupid commercial with him busting out windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kms...glad I am not the only one, but after they explained it ("he got older") it made perfect sense and now i feel like a moron!

    ff...I knew that Nitty was gonna mess things up...the surprising part was that it took 1:12 instead of the usual 38 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kms...glad I am not the only one, but after they explained it ("he got older") it made perfect sense and now i feel like a moron!

    No, no -- don't feel like a moron! You have to bear in mind that Pookie and I share a brain, so we tend, in person, to say all kinds of things that make perfect sense to us and none to the people we're talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh, kristin: "devils 3, flyers 2"

    shouldn't that be the other way around? just saw it for real today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ff...I did that as a joke...last season it seemed like every Devils game the score was 3-2 and we lost in a shootout. I felt like I had written many posts with that title and for some reason thought it would be funny to post that title again even though we actually won!

    Schnookie...The phrase really does make sense now that I get it...I think my brain was just frozen from meeting the (in)famous IPB ladies. Also, I was going to comment on your game recap post, but man, you gotta get up pretty early in the morning to not get lost in the shuffle over there! Your community over there is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries -- I'm pretty used to people being in a state of shock when they first witness my gloriousness in person. :P And yeah, our comment threads at IPB do get pretty long and rambling, but I fortunately have a job that allows me to be there all day long... You should never be afraid to jump in and leave a comment in the middle of things. It'll be seen! (Although I can totally understand if you didn't. :D)

    ReplyDelete