Thursday, October 2, 2008

Flyers are starting to scare me...


Sorry guys, the last week has been pretty brutal between work, games, and fantasy drafts. Plus, I've been stuffing my face with Oreo Double Stuffs and haven't wanted to get chocolate crumbs on the keyboard.

You may recall that I referred to last Tuesday's game as reminiscent of Mites On Ice. Well, I've been to two games since then, and the Flyers have been much improved in those last two outings.

Saturday's game at the Spectrum was interesting. The guys did a tremendous job of getting the puck out of their own end. Once they got it into the offensive zone though, they had some trouble. It was sorta like they had only worked on their defensive system all week, but hadn't thought much about scoring. But still, seeing them get the puck out was very comforting.

This week, we had a game at the Wachovia Center (thank god, the Spectrum just isn't built to handle those crowds!!!) against the Capitals. The Caps looked amazing...they came out with a ton of speed and put a lot of pressure on the Flyers. They looked pretty dominant for most of the first period. Eventually though, the Flyers got into a groove and started working their system.

I got a little scared during the Caps game, because I realized that this Flyers team has the potential to be good. Like scary good. Richards is unfreakingbelievable out there, and the rest of the team is definitely following his lead. You know I'm not on the Richards bandwagon, but he really does it all out there.

The reason I was scared when I realized how good this team could be is because I am such a negative fan. I don't want to think that we can be good. I don't like to think that winning is possible. It is so much easier to be that annoying fan who only has negative things to say about the team. When people say, "Hey, great win last night!!!" I say, "Yeah, but it was against the Islanders..."

My goal this year is to enjoy the ride. It's a long season with a lot of ups and downs, and I want to look back and say I had a good time.

We'll see how long this positive attitude lasts. I give it until the first Devils game!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be at the Flyers game here in DC tonight. I'll try to have a report (and pics!) of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Philadelphia spirit. I'm scared to get excited about the Phillies right now (But part of me is very excited), because I know they have a history of failure...

    ReplyDelete