Sunday, July 8, 2007

Hockey in July!

Damn, I am so lucky to live in Philly, where I am a short driving distance to the Flyers/Phantoms practice facility. Today was the first day of their conditioning camp, and for some reason, I actually went. Here is what I found out:

1) "the reamer" is a pretty big guy. Definitely the tallest kid there, and pretty well built for a kid his age. He is fast as well, and seemed to enjoy himself. He looks like a natural. I was gonna say a natural Flyer, but he just looks like a natural: very comfortable on the ice.

2) I can't take a picture of hockey practice to save my life. Honest to god. I was gonna post some, but they are all blurry, or pictures of hockey boys backs. I hate those kind of pictures. Rod is a much better photographer than I am, but he takes pictures of bands. I hate bands. But sometimes he takes pictures of hockey boys and lets me look at them.

3) Becky thinks one of the players has been supplementing his diet because he is bigger and faster than he was last year. I will not name names because I refuse to believe it is true! He is only 22 years old and finally shedding some of his baby fat...that is my theory! But he really was faster than last year. And taller...is it possible to get taller at that age?

4) We saw a great new goalie that from a distance was a ringer for Scott Munroe. This nineteen year old Czech was on fire today (as much as one can be on fire at a conditioning camp) and was stopping everything that came his way (yeah I know, it is only camp!). At first we thought it was Houle, but that didn't make sense, since he was stopping shots...then when he took his mask off we thought it was Muny. But after getting a roster, it turned out to be Jakub. I will be keeping my eye on him in the OHL next year...

5) It looks like we have a potential douchebag...I can't remember if it was number 62 or 63 that looked mean and made a half-assed attempt at some of the drills, so I won't name names until I can confirm it when I go again on Thursday.

Okay I guess that is all for now. I will be making the trek to South Jersey on Thursday and Friday, so I will report any exciting news. Perhaps there will be an actual Flyer sighting? Maybe a Briere or Smith or even Eager sighting?

We did see Paul Holmgren pulling out of the lot when we got there...could Weasel be far behind?

9 comments:

  1. Great blog, sadly, I JUST came across it!

    Any word on when the schedule is coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No word yet, but last year it came out around July 12th. I'm thinking it will be a little later this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that I LOVE the nickname Reamer? It feels wrong, since the boy in question is barely legal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Normally I am all about inappropriate nicknames, but for some reason this one creeps me out a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Schedules come out on the 11th...is what the word on the street is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh bitchany you always know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. no fare. i want hockey in july.

    btw - can i just say i heard the ducks are having rookie camp, and there hasn't been ONE IOTA of publicity for it??? not even on the website. what gives? last season, they invited us to come. suddenly hot shit, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMFG. how can i be an english major and actually, ACTUALLY, write "no fare."

    I AM HUMILIATED.

    I obviously meant to write "no fair." Apparently, staring at a computer for nearly 72 hours straight screws with the braincells some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finny...no worries...since most of us stare at computer screens excessively anyhow, chances are we wouldn't have noticed. Although I will be incorporating it into a future post or two, giving you full credit of course!

    As far as publicity for rookie camp, I have been floored by the amount our guys have been receiving. Either it is a slow sports news week, or the sports guys are seriously psyched for next year's team...

    ReplyDelete