Sunday, July 22, 2007

Slow news week...

I got nothing guys, absolutely nothing!

A few weeks back, Adam Proteau of THN wrote a piece about the Flyers rebuilding during the offseason. He wrote "one presumes the Philadelphia Flyers have been pre-approved to hoist the Stanley Cup next spring."

Um, I don't recall anyone from the Flyers organization using the words "Stanley Cup", "playoffs" or even "contender". Every press conference I watched showed guarded words and cautious optimism about next season. Nobody was getting ahead of themselves.

Until le petit Briere spoke.

Let me digress here for one second. I watched the Hartnell, Smith and Briere press conferences. Hartnell was very articulate. Smith was very boring. Briere was very skittish. Of the three, if I were a GM, I would only want Hartnell talking to the press.

I think the press was a little harder on Briere since he is the "prized free agent acquisition". Some of the questions seemed a bit critical. And Briere's answers, and the faces his made when answering, were a little disheartening. He needs to polish up his skills in this area. But the worst part was the answer he gave to this question:

Q: As a player is there any concerns, questions as to how all these new faces are going to fit together?

Briere
: “There are going to be a lot of new players next year. You never know how long it is going to take to mesh. We have a lot of good young players that are still going to have a lot of room for improvement. How it’s going to mesh I don’t know. What I expect from this team looking at our roster is to definitely make the playoffs. That is what I expect us to do at least get to.”

Oh no! He used the "p" word! And this was the question where he made the worst face and hesitated a lot when talking about the new players next year. I will try to upload the video later, but if you feel like watching it, you can look here...

No comments:

Post a Comment