Sunday, July 15, 2007

No more hockey in July....

Well, having spent 3 days watching the prospects this week, here are more of my observations:

1) I am still addicted to hockey. I got up early on both my days off to sit in rush hour traffic to go watch our damn rookies do speed drills. Not much gets me out of bed early on my day off!

2) New Jersey is weird (sorry Schnookie and Pookie). I guess I have lived in PA so long now that the way other states are set up just seems wrong somehow. I am not going to make fun of the whole jughandle/u-turn thing, because I am sure it is a great system once you get used to it. Seeing strip mall after strip mall is more disturbing. Sure we have strip malls here in PA, but not nearly as many as NJ. Lastly, I used my GPS to try and find a Starbucks and a Barnes and Noble (I am soooooo suburban, I know) and both times it led me to a place that was not my destination. For the Starbucks, my GPS was yelling "your destination is on the left" but what was on my left was a huge field . No coffee beans in sight! Oh well. And there has to be something wrong about a state that won't let its residents pump their own gas...49 other states get by just fine!

3) You should know that I am very shy and I hate crowds...concerts annoy me, movies that aren't a matinee are too crowded. I hate to be around people, and I would never start a conversation with anyone anywhere anytime. However, that all goes out the window at the rink. I start conversations with strangers, get email addresses and make new friends. It is a very shocking thing for me, but I love it. I love being at the rink around hockey people.

Oh, I guess I should tell you about the boys as well. And yes, many of these guys were boys, barely legal. I even saw one prospect's mom there keeping a watchful eye on her son.

First of all, I mostly saw group B and their drills. I only got to see group A for about an hour. Based on that hour however, group A seemed slightly more developed. Not sure if that was random or not, but group A did in fact win the Friday scrimmage.

Secondly, performance in the drills wasn't necessarily an indicator of how well they played in the scrimmage (I do realize that contradicts what I just said above). Excellent personal performance in the drills did not mean they rocked it in the scrimmage. For example, Patrick Maroon seemed okay in the drills, his speed was decent but he seemed a bit awkward on his skates. In the scrimmage however, he was fantastic. Stayed with the puck and had some decent plays, in spite of the fact that every time I looked, he was falling down (okay, just twice). So yes, he was a little awkward but it didn't affect him ultimately.

I am not going to give you a rundown on everyone (I will save that for the Flyers boards) but here are a few more notes:

  • I hope Triston Grant was hungover, because he played like it. I wouldn't let him make the Phantoms with the way he played!
  • Jordan Hart displayed some leadership qualities during the drills, and looked like he was having a good time...kept it fun for those around him.
  • Parent, Ruzicka, and Potulny stood out overall from this camp.
Hmm...I guess that's all I've got for now!

9 comments:

  1. Same 2 things annoy me about NJ..the left hand turn and the gas pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god you clarified, because I was intrigued by what a gas pumpkin was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will continue to help you with your shyness... I'll get you to THAT BAR if i have to carry you over my shoudler... LOL

    Oh yeah and jersey is a PITA.. but I've lived in Jersey my whole life.. so i guess i am used to the BS.

    Oh yeah, you have to show me how to create one of these things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, poor NJ, getting so maligned here! I love jughandles; they make left-hand turns ever so much easier! (The literally lawless traffic circles leave a bit to be desired.) And you'd be surprised how nice that not being able to pump your own gas can be in the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and how wonderful is NJ? When you're looking for a Starbucks all you find is an empty field! When I got to college in NYC everyone would laugh and laugh at NJ and I would finding myself shouting, "It's called the Garden State for a reason!". Then I'd run away in tears.

    (Just kidding.)

    (About the tears, not about the Garden State thing. The state is, in fact, quite pretty if you go to the right parts.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that the LACK OF DRIVING ABILITY in PA pisses me off a good bit, though. I'm considering buying a snowplow so I can teach people how to come down the the end of the onramp and MERGE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merging is for suckers! If you grow up in PA, you know how to do it. You have to communicate with the other driver; signal, get eye contact, and then wave when they let you in. We keep track of the non-wavers on a list. All of NJ is on the list so when we see your plates, we don't let you in, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve...yes, the wave is the key here. gotta wave...

    and really IP, Jersey isn't so bad, just hard to deal with when you're used to PA...

    and Teka, soon you will be driving like us, it just takes about a year to get used to it. then everyone else will seem like morons...

    Becky...I didn't know you were a true jersey girl! I will need to see some pictures of you from the early 90s please....

    ReplyDelete