Saturday, October 20, 2007

head case

I am the worst fan ever. I am not a fairweather fan, because that would be worse, but I am a bad fan nonetheless.

I am a head case.

I am a sports jinx.

These two things do not go well together. I am the blogger equivalent of Niitymaki. On game day, I wake up with butterflies in my stomach. Not good butterflies, bad ones flying all around and saying this is going to be the game where they lose and then they lose for the rest of the season.

Watching a game, either in person or on my couch, involves me hunched over tensely, grinding my teeth and hardly remembering to breathe.

I am not fun to be around.

Don't even think about talking to me about how great the boys are doing this year. I will shut you down immediately. No mention before the game of what you think the score will be. No mention during the game about how many goals we are up. No mention after the game about how good it was.

A strange thing happened though during Thursday's game. It had to have been during the second, because the first was god-awful.

I was smiling.

It was a weird feeling, one I barely allowed myself to enjoy, but it felt good and I might even try it again.

But probably not until we have 45 wins under our belts in mid March!

2 comments:

  1. You have to calm down and relax.

    Enjoy the ride.

    Two points today are worth the same as two points in March.

    I feel really comfortable that we will be play meaningful games in April. I don't know how far we will go, but we will be there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were smiling because Sami was zipping around, he put his body in front of shooters, and he scored! (He always looks like the happiest guy in the world when he puts one in, but he also looks happy when others do it, too.)

    ReplyDelete