Monday, June 23, 2008

Flyers building team around Richards...


Is it just me, or do the last two Flyers acquisitions have something in common?

Both have a connection with future captain Mike Richards.

Now look, I understand that in the hockey world, pretty much everyone has played on a team with everyone at some point. It's just how the system works. However, the two latest pickups, Danny Syvret and Steve Eminger, have both played with Richards before. And the fact that they have played with Richards was highlighted by Homer.

Here's what Homer had to say about Eminger:

"Steve is a player we’ve always liked," said Holmgren. "He’s a former teammate of Mike Richards in Kitchener, so those two have a connection. He’s still just 25 years old. I don’t believe he’s reached his peak yet and still has a ways to go. We think he’s going to be a nice fit."

And of Syvret, he says:

"Danny is a puck-moving defenseman that sees the ice well and will improve our depth,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “He had some success playing with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards at the 2005 World Junior Championship as a member of the Team Canada."


So look out, anyone who has ever played with Richards! The Flyers are looking for you!

15 comments:

  1. When is James VanRiemsdyk going to play?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did signed him for like a million bajillion years, so I guess it's not crazy to build a team around him. But I never noticed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I mean, it only makes sense to do that. I just wonder if they will keep doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world revolves around Mike Richards, it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jess, now I'm invisioning sun with Mike Richards' face in it (like the bizarre sun with the baby in it from teletubbies) and it's creepin' me out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't think of a better man for the Flyers to build around. Richards fits the Flyers mold, he's the next Keith Primeau/Eric Lindros (the early years)/Bobby Clarke etc. The Flyers have always had that physical center with great leadership qualities, and Richards is most definitely that guy.

    I'm excited to see what these new guys can do. Just think about it, we're about to witness a first in Flyers history: speedy defensemen. I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, sorry for the unpleasant visual, Soph!

    Well, let's hope Richards doesn't also follow in the injury problems of Lindros and Primeau. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the disturbing visual you've cursed me with today, Jess. I'll probably dream of it too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god Soph, that's amazing! Mike Richards, I'm so glad the world revolves around you!

    What an awesome face he's making in that picture... even without the rays of sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristin, I'm glad you enjoyed my photoshop magic :) I literally jumped when I saw it on the side of your page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha yeah soph, I totally had to steal it! Hope you don't mind! You should make some kind of crazy "Gator as a brooding single dad" photoshop next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, we always knew Gator was a brooding single dad... I'm glad he's embracing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay soph, I'm gonna have to commission you to do photoshops for me all next year. Can I pay you in Flyers tickets?

    You're so good at it! And so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't she amazing at it? A regular photoshop wizard!

    ReplyDelete