Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Road trips are the best!

Taking a page out of Heather's book, I decided to take a road trip last Saturday to see my Phantoms play the Hershey Bears in the second half of a home and home. The Friday game was a loss, but I was okay with that, since I won Bronty's jersey in the post game auction.

Now mind you, unlike Heather, I don't have hockey friends that I can call up at the last minute and say "hey, let's go to Hershey." That turned out to be fine, since I got the last available ticket for the game. Phew!

The ride to Hershey is a pleasant, relatively quick one. Maybe an hour and a half, tops. The Giant Center is the opposite of the Spectrum: new, clean, well lit, and sold out. I got there, downed my three shots of tequila, put on my Bronty jersey, and made my way inside.

I only saw a handful of Phantoms fans, which surprised me, since there are always a ton of Bears fans at the Philly games. Much to my surprise, I did see Shamrock Eager. Shamrock Eager is what I call this woman who has the jersey I covet most: the Ben Eager St Patrick's Day jersey from last year. I love the color green and Ben Eager, so when I see her at every game, it is all I can do to keep from tearing if off her! She and her family were standing by the visitor's bench, waiting for the players to come out for warmups. Emboldened by the tequila, I decided to join them.

They were of course, very nice. I called her Shamrock Eager and told her I loved her jersey. She said she gets complimented on it all the time. Her husband and I talked trade rumors. They liked my Bronty jersey and when the team took the ice, the husband said "there's your boy." They asked Riley for a puck, said hi to Muny and generally made me jealous.

Anyhow, this post is turning out to be longer and more boring than I hoped it would be. The point of the story is:
  1. road trips are awesome
  2. road trips rule, especially when your team wins
  3. nobody is gonna mess with you when you are wearing a Bronty jersey

1 comment:

  1. I know I couldn't believe they put him on waivers...he went to the Habs though...that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete