Thursday, February 1, 2007

So that is what a power play is supposed to look like...

I caught the last few minutes of the Anaheim/Phoenix game last night. When I tuned in, the score was 1-0 Phoenix. The Ducks were on a power play and scored to tie it up. During the course of the power play, they drew another penalty and went right back on the power play.

Before I finish the story, let me tell you about a playoff game I was at last year. Whenever a Flyers stick touched the puck, the guy four seats away from me would start yelling "Shoot it! Shooootiiiiit! Shhhoooooooot iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" at the top of his lungs, even if the Flyers were nowhere near the net. Every time. Really. As a result of this buffoon, "shoot it" has become a running joke for me at any game I go to. I will often say it to make myself laugh.

At the start of the season, people would yell "shoot it" when the Flyers were on the power play. This annoyed me, because I thought, cmon, give them a chance, they will shoot it. Well now that the season is half over and our power play could not suck more, I find myself among those yelling "shoot it" in frustration. It is now something I do in my head during any game I watch.

So as I was watching this second power play of the Ducks game, my "shoot it" chant was subconsciously taking over. Except the Ducks shoot it. A lot! I witnessed the beauty of the power play, instead of the frustration. They passed, but they shot, they deked, they attacked. It seemed like they had 10 shots on goal during this one PP. Most importantly, they scored.

It was a thing of beauty, and I wish the Flyers would watch some Ducks games to see how it's done.

1 comment:

  1. This has been a huge frustration of mine with the Islanders this year. They never shoot the freaking puck. The more shots you take, the more shots go in. Rebounds are bread and butter, right? KILLS me!

    PS, I tagged you for the "If I were a Hockey Player..." meme. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete