Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gary Roberts is dead to me...

Look, I love douchey players (see Pronger, Chris and the entire Flyers organization.) But Roberts' hit on Franzen tonight was just plain cheap, dirty and disrespectful. Sorry Gary, but it's over between us. (Also, upon further review, the Mule may have embellished a bit, but it is still a douche move by Roberts...)




I didn't get to watch game one due to work, so last night was my first encounter with this series. I really enjoyed the first period, with two exciting goals crushing the Pens little spirits. I even enjoyed the second, as Detroit's dominance continued. I marveled at their team: everyone seemed to be in the right place at the right time, and hockey looked effortless and easy.

I think it was about midway through the second when I realized that what everyone's been saying is true: this was boring! I was able to overlook this boring-ness for the first period and a half, since the Pens were getting crushed and that made me happy. It's sad that the biggest excitement of the game came near the end of the second when Lilia fell and gave the Pens their best opportunity of the game. But alas, they didn't capitalize on it, and we went back to the Wings just doing their thing.

Also, I would like to say: yeah Osgood did some diving, for sure. But to hear Pens fans complain about diving is just about the funniest thing I have ever heard. Really? You have the captain of the diving team playing for you, so I guess you know a good dive when you see one!

And really, if boring games are what it takes for the Pens to get ousted, I'm all for it. Go Wings Go!

8 comments:

  1. I have always hated Gary Roberts. He was part of the trio of cheap shot artists that Toronto once employed (now only Darcy Tucker remains). But I totally loved how the Pens lost their cool last night. 8 roughing penalties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda fell for Gary when I saw his "shopping at whole foods" piece during one of the pregames earlier this year. Dude is ripped...for an old dude!

    Honest to god, the best part about last night's loss is seeing the c-blog over at the Pensblog bitch about Osgood diving.

    The irony is too much for me to handle!!! I can't get enough!

    Y'all gonna have an open thread over at Slightly Saucy for tomorrow night's game? If I had known you and Jess and Soph were gonna be chatting it up over there, I would have stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea Kristin. I'll make sure that it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, it just kinda happened last night. I may actually watch the game tomorrow. I haven't been too interested in watching them. I've only watched two periods so far, and then just had Yahoo update the scores. They're about the same excitement wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's really tough to generate offense against that team. They're good on obstruction. It's going to be tough to generate any type of offense, if the rules remain the same. So it's the first time we're facing a team that the obstruction is there, and we're having a hard time skating to take away ice.

    We took two penalties tonight on the goalie. We never take penalty to the goalie in the playoff. I'll tell you something, I reviewed those plays. He's a good actor. He goes to players, and he's diving. Took away our power play. Got to get focused. I know our players are frustrated right now. It's tough to play the game. But Osgood did the same thing against Dallas under Ribeiro." - Michel Therrien, Penguins coach.

    That's an actual quote after the game last night. Warms my heart. Therrien has become one of the biggest scumbags in my eyes. He just reeks of arrogant asshole. Just look at him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think all of our commenting last night was more so of the fluke variety! But that's a good idea indeed, Kristin. We've got to make something out of nothing here! I considered doing a game journal but then it just seemed too boring. Zzzzzzzetterberg...

    ReplyDelete
  7. k, my favorite part of the game is when a penalty gets called on the Pens, and they cut to a shot of Therrien! I'm like, "cmon, cmon...show his face!!" and then when they show him I laugh maniacally! I could make a drinking game out of it!!

    Also, I am pissed because I can't find any video of Therrien's post game presser from last night, only quotes. Versus cut to some bullshit right away, and I missed it live on NHL.com. If anyone can find it, let me know, I would love to see his arrogant asshole face whining and crying about diving!!!

    And Jess and Soph, I'll stop by yer blog tomorrow for a game day chat. I usually head over to Interchangeable Parts (check out the blogroll) but it can get kinda crowded over there some nights!

    and Jess....Zzzzzzzzzetterberg! HA! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, we're having some chattage over on Slightly Saucy. So, maybe you should just come over there.

    ReplyDelete