Thursday, July 24, 2008

Flyers rookie camp at last!


Oh my goodness, I finally made it to camp! I woke up at 9:30 and hemmed and hawed for about an hour before I decided to go. I got there at 11:25, and entered the building as a large group of people flooded out. I was just in time to see the last rookie leave the ice! Grrr! That's even worse than showing up and finding out it was canceled entirely!

I decided to stick around for a few minutes to see if they would go do some more work on the other rink, and sure enough, they did. Looks like they were working on agility. They started off just skating back and forth, and then the coach had them work on some increasingly difficult moves.

They had to skate to the blue line, drop to their knees, get up, then jump up, then continue skating. Then they had to do it backwards! It was a pretty funny sight to see, especially since some of the guys are less than agile (I'm looking at you, poor Patrick Maroon...)!

Anyhow, the above video is of the last drill they had to do before moving on to more boring stuff. I love that even the goalies have to do these....they look so silly jumping and twirling with those pads on!

As far as the players go...I'm still sticking with my opinion from last year about Patrick Maroon. This kid is like a puppy who hasn't yet grown into his legs...he is very awkward during the agility drills. However, when he touches the puck, he loses all that awkwardness and you can just see this phenomenal talent he has.

It was also fun to watch Giroux...he looks like such a pro out there doing the drills, like, "yeah, I've done these a million times before." He makes it look effortless.

Check this out for more opinions (not mine) on some of the guys...

No pictures, since I always forget how bad the lighting in there is...

3 comments:

  1. even if it was just drills, I'm jealous... more pics next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly went today. But I slept through it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, for some reason sleep won for me today as well. I wish I had gone though, since they had their final scrimmage and Nicole was texting me the score all morning. It sounded like a good game!

    Oh well, there is always the September camp...

    ReplyDelete