Sunday, March 29, 2009

Habs Centennial jerseys...jinxed!!!


Okay, so as a major sports jinx, I like to think about what else can be jinxing my teams. I know it can't always my fault.

I started thinking about those god awful centennial jerseys, and about how the Habs seem to lose when they wear them. I decided to see just how often the jerseys jinxed them:

11/15 Lose to Flyers 2-1
12/4 Win over Rangers 6-2
2/1 Lose to Bruins 3-1
3/14 Lose to Devils 3/1
3/21 Lose to Leafs 5-2
3/31 ??? Playing the blackhawks...

(This info is based on the Habs schedule and the jersey schedule here. I'm not saying I'm 100 percent right on this, because I did not in fact see the Rangers or Devils games listed above.)


Hmm, no offense, but if I'm Bob Gainey or a Montreal player, I'm asking if we can be let off the hook for wearing those jerseys on Tuesday. Maybe they can wear them after the game? Or maybe in the third period if they have a 12-3 lead? Just sayin....

7 comments:

  1. It's true. Those things are cursed. As is the centennial logo on the ice. I actually like most of the jerseys in principle but there's a reason why the team doesn't use them anymore.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe they wore the 70s White Home sweaters (basically our road jerseys) and won both those games. Jinx, schminx! The Barber Pole game could have gone either way too (technically 2-1 plus an empty netter). I love the Barber Pole though, but the socks gotta go! Though, it reminds me of Lang...sniff... I miss the hairy Czech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one you have pictured, I think is the best looking of the retro jerseys.
    In fact I purchased one, that time when they played the Rangers with them and won. Which now seems like the only game they won with the retro jerseys...

    Hopefully they turn it around with the horrendously hideous barber pole things on Tuesdays.
    Maybe Huet is epileptic and the colors will give him a seizure...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears Bob Gainey agrees with me (call me Bob, we have stuff to discuss!) concerning the jerseys.

    He canceled the barber pole ones and replaced them with this awesome one you have in this post.

    Notice to players: your GM/Coach just made a big marketing effort to spare you public humiliation. Please respond in kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, that is awesome that they won't be wearing the barberpole ones. They make me dizzy! It's great that you and Bob are on the same page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was because he saw my stick figure drawing and realized that the Blackhawks of all teams weren't going to end up laughing their heads off at the stripeys...

    I want barberpole style socks now though...=p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late on this, but I agree the one you used for this post is the best looking so far. (although I also like the blue ones)

    And this one doesn't seem to be completely jinxed.

    ReplyDelete