Monday, March 9, 2009

I got nothin


I was up way too late last night looking up places to eat during my trip to Montreal and now I'm way too tired to write anything coherent. I also have to be to work in half an hour. Why I decide to post right before I go to work and risk being late is beyond me.

Good weekend for both my teams. Flyers actually played well on Saturday. I had the pleasure of watching the game at home instead of at the Center. I sold my tickets to that game, and realized at the end of the game that it was "shirts off our backs" night. I always miss that!!! I wondered why on earth anyone would want tickets to see the Flyers play the Preds, and now I know.

Habs won last night, I'm sure as a result of the fact that I was at work and couldn't watch the game. Let's hope me not watching is a good thing, since 2 out of 3 Habs games this week are at the same time as the Flyers. I will be at the Flyers games in person and therefore will not be able to watch the Habs games live. Great.

I watched the Habs game on Tivo late last night. Yikes. How the heck did they survive that first period? I think they really love being on the PK. And apparently, their secret is to put no shots on goal so the opposing goalie gets all out of practice stopping shots. I really want to thank Turco for that third one. We owe ya, buddy.

Price's confidence continues to grow. His positioning was a lot better, but he still goes down way too fast. Let's hope he can build on this win.

That's all for now, gotta get to work. Habs folks, do me a favor and tell me where I should eat when I'm in Montreal. I'm tired of staying up til 3 am looking at restaurant reviews!!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh food. Yes. Good. I love food. Uh. I'm a almost-vegan so my choices of places are quite limited but there's some great vegetarian places in Montreal.

    There's a nice place called Bonny's which isn't too far from the Bell Center...I think it's on Notre Dame street somewhere...I'm aiming to get there on Thursday before the Habs/Isles game so I'll have more on that then if you want...

    If you want to try out a really great vegan restaurant and go farther afield (I don't know how much you can travel around the city?) then you HAVE to check out Aux Vivres. It's not exactly fine dining - it's a great place for lunch actually - but the atmosphere is nice and the staff are very friendly. It's a bit farther out like I said, it's on St. Laurent street, but they have amazing food. You won't miss the meat stuff at all. Fantastic food. Prices are fair too. I'd eat there all the time if I could =)Yeah, I'm shamelessly plugging my favorite place *g*

    Uh... let's see... there's a lot of stuff around if you're more "normal" *g* I think you could pretty much wander around anywhere and you'd find something.... If you go along St. Catherine's street there's a whole variety of restaurants on the cheapish side. There's a lot of different choices of stuff there. And it's closer to the Bell Center. More or less....but again, not exactly fine dining.... I actually suck at this whole fine dining thing mainly because I don't do it because I'm broke and don't eat the stuff that they feed you anyway.... x-X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristin! If you can, you absolutely have to go get a smoked meat sandwich from Schwartz (3895 Boul Saint-Laurent). It's a Quebec classic. It looks like a little hole in the wall and it gets crowded with the line out the door, but it's just so good. I want one now, just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I went there once before I was a vegan... Very good if you love that. And if you feel like clearing out your arteries, go eat vegan =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Café L'Etranger. I love this place. It's below street level and you can walk right by it without realizing it. It's at 680 St-Catherine, corner University. (Across the street from the Eaton center). They have yummy sammiches, their specialty is a side order of fried up pasta (usually comes with everything), and yummy drinks.

    Then again, it's Montreal. You won't have a hard time finding a good eatery ;)
    -------
    Kovy said he was thankful for the massive PKs 'cause they got to work on their defense. He so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too far from the Bell Center on Ste Catherine (1198 Ste. Catherine St. W) you have the self-proclaimed 'best burger in the world' at Mr. Steer Burger.
    I don't know if it's the best in the world, but it's a pretty damn fine burger, if you're into those. And if you go, it's only for the burger - the deco is tacky '60s American Midwest mixed in with Habs stuff on the walls... it's weird. But the burger is awesome!

    I absolutely second the fact that if you have a chance, you have to visit Schwartz for smoked meet. It's amazing.

    If you wander a few streets west of the Bell Center on Ste Catherine you'll find Crescent street, where there's a few decent places. For pre-game beverages I like the Sir Winston Churchill Pub, great atmosphere.

    Most of the really good eateries are not downtown - at least not the ones I know... Maybe I've never visited the best downtown places because they're just too damn expensive though.

    As Number31 said however, in Montreal it's not hard to find good food.

    Hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city, and I hope the weather's nice with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. James, I think I will have to go there just based on the name...Mister Steer! And it's nice and close to the Bell Center! Churchill's looks like a great place to grab a few drinks...I bet it's nuts in there before the game!

    Actually, everyone's recommendations look great. Schwartz's is must see from everything I have heard. And after that I will head to Aux Vivres for their tonique to cleanse my liver!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete